Thursday, August 16, 2012

Things that go bump in the night.


Dear Diary,

I have added an hour of house checks to my daily routine. Every night around 2 am I make the rounds over and over. Is Dusty ok on the couch? Yes she is fine and I will stay away from her. Is Lance in his spot? Yes he is where he sleeps every night, but just to make sure he is breathing I will nudge his tail a few times, tap him on the nose and provoke him for a few  minutes just in case.
Sometimes when I check on Tucker he will help me with the rounds. We move from room to room quickly. Just because you don’t see something odd or off kilter the first time you check doesn’t mean it isn't there. If you act like you’re leaving and then turn real quick, check again.
Is Maggie holding down the covers on the bed between the humans? She has an important job. I really don’t bug her except for the occasional jump over her when checking the humans. The old lady loves to leave her feet out of the covers. That is not how it should be done. A few ninja paws gets them right back under where they should be. She wears a sleeping mask too, sometimes I have to check that, make sure it’s ok. A good couple of pounces and she checks it too! All is well with her.
Now that girl of mine… ugg. That girl takes forever to check. She sleeps so hard. I can run up and down her and no reaction. Sometimes after repeated attention I finally get recognition for securing the thought that she is ok in bed and she will grab me and pull me under the covers. I usually end with the girl and decide it’s nice under the covers and rest again till the light comes through the windows. Everyone says that I really don’t have to do this every night, but I feel it’s important to make sure everyone is safe and A-ok.


1 comment: